"Whatever this world can give to me, it's you ... you're all I see."

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Healthy Pregnancy

So today I officially enrolled in a pregnancy study. The idea behind this study is that pregnant women should be a healthy weight when conceiving and that they should gain a healthy amount of weight while pregnant. Luckily I was a healthy weight to start with, but I'm afraid of gaining too much weight.

I hear from moms and soon-to-be moms that I should eat whatever I'm hungry for because that's what my body is craving. I'm also not supposed to worry about my weight. Well I can't help but worry about it. I was worried about it before I got pregnant, because lets face it, I got pretty sedentary and have gained about 15 pounds since not being in school, and I do not want to gain any more than that!

My family history shows that the women in my family gain at least 50 pounds during pregnancy and the doctors say I should gain 25-35 pounds. My family history also shows that I may not lose the excess weight once the baby comes. I am scared to death of this! I know that I need to eat more fruits and veggies, but I don't have a clue how to shop for them and I am tired of the same 'ol bell peppers and carrots and bananas. They taste good, but apparently my tastes in food is picky right now. Luckily the only food aversions I've had so far is toward chinese/japanese/korean foods. I do love Italian and mexican like whoa.

Okay, back to the point. I did some testing this morning at the doctor's office. They took my weight, bp and listened to the baby's heartrate (140bpm!). Then I did a stretch to show them that I am not flexible because I can barely reach past my knees while sitting on the floor, legs extended in front of me! Next I did a little bit of weight lifting which turned out to be tougher than I thought! Last, I did a 2 mile walk (around the block 4 times) at my own pace. That took 36 minutes! Geez, I am so out of shape and could use the help of the pregnancy workout group that meets three times a week for an hour. But alas, I was randomized in the control group. I am not going to Vegas anytime soon, because it was a 50/50 chance of getting randomized into the workout group and apparently I'm just not lucky enough!

The silver lining is that even though I don't get to work out, I do get some free yoga classes to go to later in my pregnancy. That's ok, I'll take that!

Hopefully I'll gain a healthy amount of weight that will be easy enough to lose while staying healthy for the baby. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this study when it is complete!

1 comment:

Suz said...

I have approximately 10 friends who are preggers right now and every single one of them has made comments about weight concerns. When D and I were planning a pregnancy, weight was discussed with my OB more than my diabetes. You are 100% normal to worry about it! HOWEVER, they are right: You should eat things you're craving, but be smart about it. I mean, if you're craving chocolate malt, eat 2 or 3 whoppers, not an extra large chocolate malt from Sonic! A lot of cravings conincide with nutrients that your body is lacking at that moment.

Also I found an extremely delicious looking recipie for veggie enchiladas yesterday if you'd like me to send it your way.

You're on your way to MILF-hood!